Thursday, May 29, 2008

From Beginning.....to End

I feel that as school winds down for the summer, I am in an excellent position to reflect on who I am and where I have come from, in the short term and the long. This may not be the most academic blog post, but I feel that this is an example of the outlet of self-expression that blogging provides to the individual.

At the beginning of this year, there was an person who was so consumed in my new environment. This young man was the top of the food chain in terms of age within his school, and this person now had a new role within his school. However, this person was very different than the person who is sitting in front of his computer screen today and typing. This youth thought he was mature, though he could handle the wide world, and was ignorant of the fact that he was ignorant. Much has happened to this person since he came to his school in the fall; he has made many decisions and has been exposed to many things. The culmination of all of these influences has shaped this person into what he strives to be today: an individual. That person was me.

Now at the end of the year, I am able to look back on the person I was at the beginning of the year and am able to see the progression into the person I am now. I am far more informed, I am more experience at, well, life, and I am more qualified to examine the status quo. This media studies class has greatly contributed to the lattermost clause. Who controls ideas? Who controls feelings? These are questions I have been asking while I have gone through this class. In the end, I feel that I have gained some observational nuggets of insight and of perspective. I have listened to opposing opinions, and I have voiced some as my own. My teacher often says that she wants us to develop skills that we will need at the next level of education. For me, the primary skill that I have gained is the ability to question and consider difficult topics as well as develop opinions of my own. I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to do this, and I would like to thank my teacher and my classmates for being an active catalyst in this exploration.

Thank You For Reading

No comments: