Thursday, May 29, 2008

Course Review

Overall, I think that this class is an excellent class, and I would wholeheartedly support its continuation to the next academic year. It has taught to examine and to question, which are essential skills that students use throughout life to stay informed and freethinking.

I feel the course may improve in certain areas. Regarding the class's text selection, I was not a fan at all of the Susan Faludi text. I feel that, while her argument is valid, it is repeated without enough variation on her original argument as to warrant an extension; the inclusion of her ideas to the course would be best served with a brief handout with some excerpts, which would save the course several classes so more material could be covered.

I feel that writing in a blog was an excellent way of becoming part of a new, individualistic form of media, which we should do as students of media. I also think that the number of blogs per week is ideal in order to keep expressing the flow of one's ideas.

I enjoyed the contrast between Henry Jenkins and Noam Chomsky. I would absolutely include these two texts within the course syllabus, as they represent two different and rather prevalent opinions toward the media today.

The class discussion was especially rewarding, as everyone was able to provide different perspectives on the readings or contemporary issues. This was my favorite part of the class especially because I was able to voice my opinion on a much wider variety of issues much more rapidly than I was able to on my blog. Again, I would like to thank all of the students and my teacher for making this class what I perceive to be a complete success.

No comments: